"We must be free not because we claim freedom,
but because we practice it."
~ William Faulkner
The older I become, the more I grow to appreciate this day set aside to celebrate our nation's independence. It truly is a blessing to live in this country. Since I spread my freedom out all year long I don't feel like I have to squeeze it all into one day and thank goodness because this year there was a lot to do...
Jason left early, before my eyes even thought of cracking open, to pack up and haul back the equipment from girls camp at Stimpson. Then Lauren came home from camp all stinky and tired with a load of camping gear in tow. Lauren had a short time to rest and a quick shower to wash away the mountain dirt and stench before she and I had to work our shift at the firework stand for the cheer fundraiser. We survived the grueling four hour shift in the scorching Vegas heat. No fan, no air conditioner, just the blessed shade provided by the flimsy plywood shack. We sold happiness to pyros while sweat beads rolled down our backs. Finally it was time to enjoy. We joined the Pisciotta's, Stewart's, Beck's, and Conger's for swimming, eating, and a fab firework display. There were a few sketchy moments during the firework show, some scurried and scattered to save themselves from the fiery darts. A few were not so lucky.... but a little flesh burn never hurt anyone... right? As we watched the barrage of illuminations in the sky I paused for a moment, thinking of the lyrics "and the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air" and was thankful to those who fought and continue to fight to allow our flag to brilliantly wave "over the land of the free and the home of the brave...."
Happy 4th of July!!!!
![]() |
| Jace going for a dunk |
![]() |
| Lauren and Chloe |
![]() |
| Lauren and Sadie |
![]() |
| Jace and the mega sparkler |





No comments:
Post a Comment