Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Trek

JUNE 2016

Our stake thought it would be a great idea for the youth to participate in a mock pioneer trek in a valley near Provo, Utah. There would be no amenities, muscles would be used, and memories would be made. It was sounding like a good experience for the youth, something that would build character. The only problem was that these kids needed "Ma's and Pa's" to guide them on their journey and Jason and I were asked to participate. Not exactly my idea of a fun weekend but we decided to go for it. It was a smidge hot, the walking could get tedious, and there were no fountain drinks with caffeine- but we survived! We had a great group of kids and the lessons learned along the way were invaluable. I can't say that I would do it again, maybe I would consider, but I am happy that I got to experience the trek at least once. I think Jace enjoyed for the most part as well. I think my favorite part would have to be the river crossing. I loved seeing the young men step up and carry the young women across the water. Most frustrating part- the womens pull. We totally could have pulled the wagon on our own, except they had us do it on a hill with about five extra inches of sand. The handcart wheel sank into it and spit it out, constantly kicking up dirt into the air. I know they wanted to make it harder to prove a point and I suppose it made surviving the half mile a greater accomplishment for us, but it was torture for a few minutes!Overall, it was a great experience for all that participated and I'm happy that we could be a part of it.





Jason, me, and our "kids" for the trek




Jace and his french braid

Jace and Erick



Brooke braided my hair

Jace pulling the cart with his pioneer family


























No comments: