Since the beginning is usually the most common, I think I shall go with that. Let's see, our trip began Wednesday July 22, 2009. We headed north late in the afternoon with intentions of spending our first night in cedar City at the cabin. We arrived there that night having made a pit stop in St. George for some dinner at Chili's. The next morning (23rd) we got up and were soon making our way to Salt Lake. With our bellies beginning to growl we pulled into a little town called Fillmore, there were a few choices off the freeway, but my dad assured us there was a lot more choices on the other end of town (which is like a mile away) so around the bend we went to find...... really nothing more than a Subway and Carl's Jr.; so the vote was Carl's Jr and we filled up on Western bacons and star shaped chicken nuggets. On the road again, making good time...... till we saw a sign for a place called Cove Fort. My parents had been before and said it was worth stopping so we did. Built in 1867 and still standing, it was used as a pioneer way station. Ira Hinckley (Pres. Hinckley's grandfather) was asked by Brigham Young to leave his home in Coalville to build it and run it when it was finished; and that he did for more than 20 years. A safe haven built in 1867, Cove Fort was constructed at the halfway point between Fillmore and Beaver, Utah. In the 1860s the 60-mile trip between these two towns required two days of travel. Cove Fort was the perfect place to stop for the night to find safety, shelter, fresh water, and plenty of feed for livestock
These are the original doors, first filled with sand but were too heavy so the filled them with cotton.
The gunman on the inside could see out far and wide but from the outside you can't see in too good. By time you got close enough you'd probably already be shot!

Lauren and I up on the lookout. The story goes that this fort was never attacked.

All of us out front. You can see how inside there's a courtyard with the rooms around the perimeter.

We eventually made it to our destination of Salt Lake and checked into our hotel (I got Little America for $59 bucks a night! CHA-CHING). Next we went to see our reason for traveling to Salt Lake-my Grandma who we call "Ma" but who at the moment is referred to as Sister Nelson because of the fact that she is serving a mission there in the Family History center. Her apartment is right around the corner from Temple Square so we just walked over.
Lauren, Jace and Ma at the Assembly Hall
Jace in the Tabernacle

Family photo on the temple steps

Jace and Lauren at the beautiful temple doors

Lauren and Jace with the Joseph Smith statue in the gorgeous Joseph Smith building.

Ma showing Jace what kind of work she does everyday. She's lucky to be able to work in the Joseph Smith building.

The view at the top of the J.S. building

I love the clouds and trees in this pic- so I thought I would share!
I love the way the sun is shining in

Another one! You can't get enough pics of the Salt Lake Temple!
I'm enamored with all these quaint homes dotting the streets!

We were able to tour the majority of Temple Square and even watched the Joseph Smith movie. By now it was getting late and past time for dinner. Off we went in search of something out of the ordinary. After cruising several streets my dad took charge and stated that we were going to Coachmans. So we pull up to this restaurant that looks as though it's been there AWHILE. Jason and I agree to enter with a little hesitation but we can't turn back now, my dad has smelt food. We are promptly seated (they didn't give us time to second guess) and as I glance over the menu I also scan the decor. Definitely remodeled last in the 70's, instead of crown molding there was red velvet molding. I focused my attention back to the menu and decided on the spaghetti, which also came with a salad. Jason got a chopped steak that came w/ soup, salad, and a drink for $8.95. Really, how could they afford to remodel with such great prices. The food ended up being quite good and the staff was friendly and the place was clean. Lesson learned- don't judge a book by it's cover. On our way back we noticed a horde of people camping out along the streets of downtown. I knew there were homeless problems, but this was ridiculous!! Turns out all these folks were pulling an all nighter to have front row seats for the 24th of July parade. After MUCH laughter we finally found one of the parade goers to give us the start time for the parade- 9am, we can handle that!
TO BE CONTINUED!!



6 comments:
sounds like you guys had fun. I loved Coachman's too. The prices are great. I still laugh about the story of Jason asking what time the parade starts. That's classic. Just like the Manti chicken. Oh, those were the days. Cant wait for take 2
How much longer does she have on her mission? I'm sure she's loving it. Salt Lake is always so much fun.
I love Salt Lake trips. Brad is hoping to take our priests up there this year. Did you guys go to Pioneer village? That is really neat. Your kids would love it.
Sound like a fun trip. We need to take the boys up there soon. And I just love the homes too. My good friend Sonja lives right down the street from Temple Square. How fun huh!
Cove Fort is before Fillmore. Are you sure you didn't eat breakfast in Beaver?
Cool trip.
And holy clean face, Batman. I haven't seen Jason's chin since 1993.
Andrew
cove fort hu????? my kids thought once was enough! everytime we pass the sign i say "hey you guys wanna go to cove fort????" Nooooooooooo...............
love all the temple pictures! so beautiful.
Post a Comment