*bystander effect(bystander apathy) is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer help in an emergency situation when other people are present. The probability of help has in the past been thought to be inversely proportional to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help.
Was I actually going to threaten the norm and be on time for Sociology class? Time, for the moment, expressed a great interest in being my ally. Wait for it. A red light can make you wait, but only when you don't want it too. I notice something. Something in the intersection. It is moving. The ambulance making the left turn also spots it. The driver looks at it with a thoughtful glance but continues on his way, though his sirens are dead. My eyes stay focused on the situation while my heart hopes for success. There is something jangling and jingling from it. It must belong to someone,I should check. Perhaps someone will. Those people are closer, they surely will intercede. Must be on time for class. Good,it has moved out of harms way. Oh, my light has relieved my impatience. The gas is once again flowing and the clock is still in my favor. Made it! Listening to lecture. Sociology is an interesting science, it digs deep into why we behave the way we do. Still listening. Time to go. My morning commute is now in reverse. Made the light of that intersection this time. Driving through it I notice something. Something in the intersection. It is not moving.
(Dedicated to the little vanilla creme colored chihuahua that I felt compelled to help but brushed off figuring somebody else would. It had a collar and license which meant it was most likely loved. RIP little doggy)
*Brigette, I know you would have done the right thing- I still talk about your dead dog story.....
2 comments:
don't feel bad, well maybe just a little...i mean really, were you supposed to find a place to park, get out, go to the dog...and then what????? call 911??? the ambulence didn't even stop...isn't it like, their job???? kind of.
clearly, i have no heart.
poor doggy.
breaks your heart but even if you got out of the car would you of helped it. Disease? who knows. thanks for the lesson though!!! just gave a primary lesson in church today on The Good Samaritan. Goes the same way?
Post a Comment