You feel panic coursing through your veins, fear grabs hold of your senses, and your heart is beating out of your chest.....
then sudden relief rushes over you and calm takes the place of panic as you wake up and realize it was only a nightmare.
Only I'm not sleeping.
In January Jason and I flew down to Tucson, AZ for my annual heart check up. Only this time it was not the typical adventure that we have have come to expect- 1 hour flight, lunch, dr. visit where he tells us everything looks good for another year, shopping/touristy stuff, dinner, and then back on the plane to return home. Simple.
This time was different. Missed our plane, took next flight which stopped in L.A. on the way to Tucson, ate lunch at LAX, got to our appointment late, heart not looking so hot- doctor says it's time for surgery, too upset to eat dinner or shop, returned home. Complicated.
But, I've always known that surgery would happen someday because.....
I was born this way.
Congenital Aortic Stonosis is:
Aortic stenosis: Narrowing (stenosis) of the heart valve between the left ventricle of the heart and the aorta. This narrowing impedes the delivery of blood through the aorta to the body and makes it tough for the heart to carry out this Herculean task. A normal aortic valve has three leaflets or cusps, but a stenotic valve may have only one cusp (unicuspid) or two cusps (bicuspid) [THAT'S ME], which are thick. stiff and stenotic. Some children with aortic stenosis have chest pain, unusual fatigue, dizziness or fainting. Many children have few or no symptoms. The need for surgery depends on the degree of stenosis. Although surgery may enlarge the stenotic valve the valve remains deformed and eventually may need to be replaced with an artificial one. A procedure called balloon valvuloplasty has been used in some children with aortic stenosis. [I had the balloon procedure twice before which helped to prolong the need for valve replacement] Persons with aortic stenosis need medical follow-up all their lives since even mild stenosis may worsen over time and need treatment. (medicinenet.com)

So now you know for sure that I am not the least bit normal. Though it was something I was born with, I was not diagnosed with AS until age of five, when a loud murmur was heard at my kindergarten check-up. I have seen Dr. Goldberg, my pediatric cardiologist, ever since. I also have Dr. Evans that I see here in Las Vegas too. Both are amazing and I trust their judgement.
and they agreed.....
it was finally time for aorta valve replacement.
and thus began the fear and panic....
(which has begun to settle a smidge)
The date is set for August 10, 2012.
I had three choices for valve replacement that I will cover next time.....
which one did I choose??????
In January Jason and I flew down to Tucson, AZ for my annual heart check up. Only this time it was not the typical adventure that we have have come to expect- 1 hour flight, lunch, dr. visit where he tells us everything looks good for another year, shopping/touristy stuff, dinner, and then back on the plane to return home. Simple.
This time was different. Missed our plane, took next flight which stopped in L.A. on the way to Tucson, ate lunch at LAX, got to our appointment late, heart not looking so hot- doctor says it's time for surgery, too upset to eat dinner or shop, returned home. Complicated.
But, I've always known that surgery would happen someday because.....
I was born this way.
Congenital Aortic Stonosis is:
Aortic stenosis: Narrowing (stenosis) of the heart valve between the left ventricle of the heart and the aorta. This narrowing impedes the delivery of blood through the aorta to the body and makes it tough for the heart to carry out this Herculean task. A normal aortic valve has three leaflets or cusps, but a stenotic valve may have only one cusp (unicuspid) or two cusps (bicuspid) [THAT'S ME], which are thick. stiff and stenotic. Some children with aortic stenosis have chest pain, unusual fatigue, dizziness or fainting. Many children have few or no symptoms. The need for surgery depends on the degree of stenosis. Although surgery may enlarge the stenotic valve the valve remains deformed and eventually may need to be replaced with an artificial one. A procedure called balloon valvuloplasty has been used in some children with aortic stenosis. [I had the balloon procedure twice before which helped to prolong the need for valve replacement] Persons with aortic stenosis need medical follow-up all their lives since even mild stenosis may worsen over time and need treatment. (medicinenet.com)

So now you know for sure that I am not the least bit normal. Though it was something I was born with, I was not diagnosed with AS until age of five, when a loud murmur was heard at my kindergarten check-up. I have seen Dr. Goldberg, my pediatric cardiologist, ever since. I also have Dr. Evans that I see here in Las Vegas too. Both are amazing and I trust their judgement.
and they agreed.....
it was finally time for aorta valve replacement.
and thus began the fear and panic....
(which has begun to settle a smidge)
The date is set for August 10, 2012.
I had three choices for valve replacement that I will cover next time.....
which one did I choose??????
2 comments:
Sending you lots of love and wishes for an excellent surgery and speedy recovery.
i keep thinking about you! you are a brave girl and you will do great!!!
Post a Comment