Friday, July 25, 2014

Oh Yeah, Almost 40!!

March 6th, 2014 just an average ordinary Thursday for me. Little did I know that by mid afternoon there would be a knock at my door that would change that. 

By all logic I should have known or at least suspected some shenanigans on my family's part since my 40th birthday was staring me down like a wildcat ready to pounce. I should have recalled my sister Karessa's 40th just a year ago when we surprised her by taking her to St.George for a fun weekend with spa and shopping. Turns out I was just clueless. Didn't cross my mind. The only clue I got was a text message from Lauren telling me that 'I might want to look decent today.' 
So when the knock came and I opened the door to find my mom's friend Lori telling me to get my bags and let's go, then my mom coming around the corner yelling "surprise!"  it took me a minute for my mind to turn it's gears and figure things out. Well, it turns out I had a mostly packed bag ready to go and soon we were on our way......

The mini van was loaded with my sisters; Karessa, Stephanie, and Tiffany, my mom, cousin Rachel, and friend Lori. Our first stop on the road to California was dinner- and what better place than El Torito to enjoy a birthday weekend feast!! There was even singing and a sombrero included. After dinner we rolled ourselves back into the van and finished our journey to Glendora where we would be staying with the hospitable Aunt Fran(Karessa's aunt-in-law). 

Rockin' the sombrero


Aunt Fran and I

The next morning we all readied ourselves for a day at Disneyland. They even got me a special shirt to wear that said, "It took me forty years to look this good." When you are about to turn forty you kind of need the "happiest place on earth." We spent the ENTIRE day there, riding rides, eating food, and perusing the shops. We laughed at poor Rachel who was seriously scarred by riding Space Mountain, but we made it up to her by letting her "drive" on Indiana Jones. Of course she gazed into the eyes of Mara and we barely made it out! We lunched at Cafe Orleans where we devoured delicious Pomme Frittes and Monte Cristos and dined at Plaza Inn for dinner. After dinner we watched the fireworks then finally strolled out as the park was closing. We drove back to Glendora and made a quick 1am stop at Donut Man. Evidently they are famous because they have been there on Route 66 forever making delightful donuts. Their specialties include the Tiger Tail and fresh fruit donut. I was special and got a free fresh strawberry donut since it was my birthday!!



Lori, mom, Tiffany, me, Karessa, Stephanie, and Rachel











Rachel, who was seriously terrified and Karessa


Pomme Frittes- can't go to Disneyland without devouring a basket of these!

The Monte Cristo

Random girl, Steph, Rachel, and myself






Seems I was riding alone..... but the camera caught me kissing my invisible co-rider boyfriend....








How many Nelson girls can you fit into a teacup????

Indiana Jones




Quick story about this picture:
Aunt Fran warned us upon arrival that there had been some coyote sightings around the neighborhood due to a wildfire up on the hills. Of course I am petrified of dogs and coyotes are even scarier, so I was constantly on the lookout. Well, upon returning to Aunt Fran's from Disneyland in the wee hours of the morning, Karessa was thirsty from all the donut devouring and stepped out to the back porch to get a bottle of water from the mini fridge. Before she could even open the fridge she was scared stiff by a noise she heard. Lori and Tiff were also at the back door and promptly feared COYOTE!!! In the split second this all went down they saw the squatter cat with it's back arched and hissing at them. With squeals and laughter we all laughed til we cried.... and someone whose name starts with a K may or may not have peed her pants. The End!!


The next morning we thanked Aunt Fran and Uncle Lou for their hospitality and made our way towards Ikea. We seriously shopped it up and had to refrain from buying too much because the van was already overflowing. After Ikea, we had lunch at The Hat and hit a few more stores to top off the day before heading back to Vegas.





We had a great time, sometimes it's good to break away from reality and bring on the frivolity!! Thank you girls and mom for making this happen and making my 40th special!!

No comments: