Tuesday, March 24, 2009

HEARTS, PIONEERS AND PIRATES

Just a little bit of everything tied into one neatly wrapped post........


Service. I often think that kids don't quite grasp this concept. Kids seem to always be looking out for #1 and if luck should have it that someone else should benefit in the process... well, that's just bonus. That's why I was happy to hear about the lesson Lauren and Jace got taught by the Stake Primary at our ward conference. It was about service and I actually think a little bit sunk in. The invitation was to take home a little bag of foam hearts, perform a service for someone in your family, then leave a heart to let them know that someone loves them. Wouldn't you know that very day I found my bed looking like this(I never make my bed on Sunday, it's the day of rest!) with a little pink heart carefully placed on top!

Friday was the last day of school before track break and Lauren's class celebrated by having a Pioneer Day. The two classes on track 5 got together and learned all about pioneers. The teachers even made these little outfits for the kids to wear. I volunteered to help with the festivities so I got a few pictures of the action. They learned how to square dance and the girls had to have a BOY for their dance partner, then they got to sample some of the food that pioneers may have eaten. The classes made pickles and fresh squeezed lemonade, while the parents provided fried potatoes, rice pudding, apple butter and homemade bread.
Lauren, Lindsey and their Pioneer food

Lauren and her class


Grab yer partner !
Then there was Jace. He got lucky in that he turns 8 before August and was able to attend Cub Scout Day Camp. It was Thursday and Friday after school til 8pm, then from 9-4pm on Saturday. The whole camp centered on a pirate theme and they did everything from building a box to wrapping an egg for the egg drop to BBguns and bow and arrows. Each day Jace would come home and just want to tell anyone who would listen about all the things he did that day. If you know boys, you usually don't get to many details out of them, but we heard it ALL. In fact, Saturday when it was all over and we were sitting at home he looked at me-
Jace: "mom"
Me: "yes?"
Jace: "I love daycamp"
So I guess I'm going to have a pretty happy scouter on my hands come May!










Took my midterm today for History of Furniture II. Think I did pretty well. I will never forget the name of this chair and it's designer for as long as I shall live. Anyone else know?










7 comments:

Carol said...

oh I totally know that piece!!! It's Jo Shmow for Walmart....RIGHT!

Love the little pioneer day at school. I got lots of good pictures of Nathan doing some square dancing last year. And daycamp...loads of fun, except for the drive.

Heidi said...

Oh yeah, Jace will love scouting. Zach loves going every Wednesday night and can't wait for our Day Camp in May.
I remember learning to square dance in 4th grade with boys - such a lost art!

Gary and Michelle said...

I get to dress like Lauren in three weeks when we go on our youths Pioneer Trek. I have no idea how I got talked into this.

Heidi said...

Duh! That is the Barcelona chair. The design actually resulted from collaboration between the famous Bauhaus architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich. Although Reich didn't get a lot of credit until recently.

I'll have you know I took Interior Design at BYU. (There were about 90 girls and 5 guys--can you guess why I took the class????)

Andrew

Chandra said...

Heidi- do you get tired of living with a know-it-all? Andrew, you are correct! It is a Barcelona chair and maybe one day I'll own one since it is a modern classic. You'll see them everywhere now that you know what they are.

Heidi said...

OK, I'll confess. While it is true that I DID, in fact, take Interior Design at BYU, I didn't initially know the answer. All I did was place my cursor over the picture. At the bottom of the page, it says "Barcelona Chair" as part of the link and so I just Wiki'd it and voila, I knew everything there was about the Barcelona Chair. I do remember Van de Rohe from my class though!

Heidi doesn't get tired of me! I am a walking dictionary. Just axe her.

Jason & Claire said...

How sweet that they actually used their hearts. I love the pioneer day at school.