Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's That Smell?


Track break. A time where a kid can be free from the worries of institutionalized learning, unfair bedtimes and the ugly four headed beast called homework. Parents also tend to relax their demands during this time. At least as a mom I tend to get beaten down a little easier, well, with all the asking and begging it's hard not to. A few weeks ago we experienced one of these "trackbreaks" and from it sprung a little tale:


Frequent bodily cleansing is not a strong point for Jace. He must be reminded several times of this task and at times must be escorted to the shower. Having taken a shower Sunday morning he knew he was entitled to a few days before this annoyance was to be repeated. Sure enough Tuesday evening I requested that he take a shower, after all he had been playing outside all day and I had even spied him rolling around on the asphalt. I must of gotten busy and then it got late. "Just take one in the morning" became my final request. Wednesday came and went and once again Jace had succeeded in eluding his hygienic task. Thursday night I was attending to some important homework on the computer (or maybe it was Facebook) when Jace came into the office wearing his oversized t-shirt he regards as pajamas. With all the weak enforcement I could muster up I begged "Jace you HAVE got to shower tonight, that is just gross!" Then Jace looked at me smiling and announced "Mom, I'm still wearing my church socks from Sunday!" I looked to his feet in horror and sure enough his navy blue socks were still enveloped around his feet. At that moment I knew that I had failed him that week as a parent, but as I looked up at his huge grin and the pride in his eyes, I knew that he had succeeded at being an eight year old boy.

He didn't shower that night, I didn't have the heart. Late Friday afternoon when necessity set in and we had a party to attend, the issue was forced and Jace finally showered. He did have a good run though and I'm sure he enjoyed every minute of it!

The infamous blue socks

8 comments:

Steph said...

that is so funny cause clark will do the same thing. although zack had his church socks on today. lol

Brad and Leslie said...

You are such a great Mom. I'm not sure I could be that strong! :)

Kirsten said...

Oh man. That is Lincoln to a T!!! You gotta love little boys :)

Carol said...

haaaaa!!!!! now i feel better! i've got a few kids like that.

Heather said...

ewww! Boys seriously kill me.

Jess said...

That is hilarious! I love it!

RichardsWife said...

I love the picture to go with the 'visual' I had the day you told me this tale... love it!

Heidi said...

I swear it's like reading a post about my own Zackie - I'm so glad other mothers go through it too. And it makes me feel better that at least my son puts on clean socks everyday!