Thursday, May 15, 2014

South by Southwest

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

For years and years we have flown down annually to Tucson, AZ to see my cardiologist Dr. Goldberg. Even after I left (part of) my heart in Tucson when I survived open heart surgery, Ross Procedure, in August 2012, I'm not cured. I still need yearly checks to make sure my ragtag gang of valves are all still working together. As usual we flew Southwest Air. It's a quick flight and the little Tucson airport is easily maneuvered= no stress! We stopped by the antique mall and had lunch at Boston Market before our first appointment of the day. We sat and sat and waited and waited for our check up with the surgeon, Dr. Teodori who had done my surgery. We finally met with him, he was happy to see us, but we found out we don't really need to see him. So off to the next appointment with my lifelong cardiologist, Dr. Stanley J. Goldberg. He listened to my heart, checked my pulse, chatted about my physical activity and told me I was too fat. OK so not in those words...... but I tend to hold my weight in my mid section which also happens to be the worst spot for heart disease and problems like that. We wouldn't want to fix one heart problem only to have it replaced by another..... When you're only 5'3" fat doesn't have a lot of area to disperse to. After breaking out his tape measure and measuring my belly it was decided that I needed to loose a few inches in the stomach region, which I've decided is easier said than done when you're around 40 years old and your metabolism goes on holiday. He was, however, so impressed with my work out regimen (zumba, treadmill, weights) that he decided to forego the doppler (ultrasound) test and EKG that always accompanies my visit with him. So with good news about my heart and self esteem issues about my belly we left the doctors office and spent the rest of our time at the mall before heading back to the airport. We were soon home, a long day, but a good day........











No comments: