...but I haven't got a stitch to wear.
The Smith's have been null and void since 1987 yet their influence remains. My biggest personal woe of the disbanding is that at the wee age of 13 I had no idea this was affecting my future life; as I had not yet discovered their genius. It was a year later, 1988, my freshman year of high school that I would hear of The Smiths, fall in love, and find out that they no longer existed. Painful. Mind you, way back then in the olden days I couldn't just search the internet for information, and they weren't a wildly popular mainstream band that the radio repeatedly wailed out at you. But I was converted and got info via record stores, MTV's 120 Minutes, NME and other like magazines and discovered that Morrissey (lead singer of The Smiths) had launched himself into a solo career (thanks to a contract he had to fulfill). It wasn't long before I was purchasing a tape of Viva Hate and collecting the singles on vinyl. It wasn't until 1991 that I was able to be graced by his presence at the Judy Bailey theatre at UNLV for the Kill Uncle tour. Over the years he has kept my heart and I have been blessed to see him many more times.
So I have come to accept my fate. I will never see The Smiths perform live together. I know it will never happen. Some people are just too stubborn (and maybe too hurt). What I can do, though, is see a Smiths cover band and pretend! Jason and I drove down to California for the weekend and had an amazing time. This Charming Band put on a great show at the Totally 80's Bar and Grill. Who knew little gems like this place existed for all of us that just want to relive our youth every once in awhile. We also checked out an adorable neighborhood of Craftsman houses, got rained on down at the beach, and found Black Hole Records- best record store ever! Can you tell by the pictures that the owner is a fan of The Smiths too. It was a weekend that almost didn't happen because Jason and I both had hideous colds but we went anyway and had a memorable time.
No regrets!
The next weekend we had the pleasure of meeting Boz Boorer. Who?? Well any Morrissey fan would know, as he has been his right hand man and guitarist since 1991- when I saw the Kill Uncle tour. So it was great to meet him at the Beauty Bar where he played with a band and did a DJ set. I even had him sign my World Peace is None of Your Business CD. Pretty cool!!
No comments:
Post a Comment