Sunday, February 22, 2009

BAD START TO A GREAT WEEKEND

Friday the 13th. Who would have known that this would be the one to cause me so much pain. It started out innocently as a last minute trip to our cabin in Cedar City. Jason and I were willing to brave the odds and allowed both kids to invite a friend. We made a pit stop in St. George to fill up at Chuck A Rama and soon were on the road again. A snow storm enveloped us as we topped the black ridge but we soon found ourselves in the safety of Cedar City. Riding up the mountain in the safety of our toasty warm Tahoe on a plowed street- we were naive to what awaited us. The driveway up to our cabin was full of snow but it's not like it was the first time we had encountered this. Jason attempted to drive over the burn that lined the entrance to our drive with no avail- we were stuck. He got out and I got in the driver's seat. He pushed I revved and soon we were free. Resolved to the fact that we would be walking up the hill that is our driveway, I assigned the kids various things to carry up while Jason trudged ahead of us to turn on the lights. As soon as I emerged from the shelter of the Tahoe I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant. Jace and his friend Brett pressed forward through knee deep snow carrying a bag of groceries. Lauren and her friend Shelby were right behind me- or so I thought until I heard Lauren's wail. After about 3 steps she and her gallon of milk had given up. While turning to see what was going on I bumped Jace and forced him forward causing him to loose a shoe. The wind is whipping by at what feels like 60mph and I could hardly catch a breath to tell him to forget about the shoe, when he reached into the arm length hole his leg had just made and retrieved it. With wind and snow pelting my body, carrying 2 bags of groceries and two duffel bags, my purse and a pack of cookies I turn back for Lauren. I grab the milk and help her up and force her on. By now Jason has come back out and helped the boys and Shelby the rest of the way and they are safely inside. Lauren, albeit sobbing, makes it as well. As I attempted the last little bit of the hill in a daze, I felt the desire to just give up and lie down and resolve myself to a frozen grave. My energy was drained, the air was thin and the wind stole any chance I had of taking a breath. The snow was past my knees not letting my upper body lift all the goods I so heroically thought I could carry. Just then Jason's arm reached out to pull me up and take some of my baggage. Lauren was still crying worried I wouldn't make it- but I did. I told Jason that I REALLY could never live in a snowy place and I mean it! This is a picture of our tracks from the 5 minutes of torture.


These are the shoes Shelby was wearing and this is how the looked after the trek.
Friday the 13th was over and Valentines Day had arrived! I could feel the love, especially from the heater. We enjoyed a fun day out in the snow sledding in front of the cabin.




Jace and Brett flying down the sled run.





Jason and a huge pile of snow.




Valentines dinner at Pizza Factory.







Go Shelby!






Lauren & Shelby enjoying some icicles.







Lauren, Shelby and the neighbor's dog.




You gotta watch these!






Besides that dreadful 5 minutes, the weekend was great fun. I thought doubling up on kids might be a mistake but they were all really good. We even braved the movies. On the way home we made a quick stop at the St. George temple and I snapped this quick picture. Overall I would call our little weekend a success!

7 comments:

VivaLasFloyds said...

You should have shared the video of the dog jumping out the way. That is funny!

Pretty sure you'd never make it as a pioneer! (me either!!)

Kirsten said...

I am dying laughing! I can just picture Lauren sobbing! I am soooo jealous! I want a cabin! You are a nice mom, too, inviting friends! I can't believe how fast they were flying down that hill. Good times!

Steph said...

Everytime I think of you trying to climb up the hill to the cabin I crack up laughing. Glad you had fun besides the snow. Hopefully there is still snow when we go up for spring break. The boys have been dying to go sledding.
ps. Steaks were good. You missed out!! love ya

Carol said...

that is one dang steep drive!

glad sledding was fun and you didn't have to return any borrowed children with broken bums!

Heather said...

Pizza Factory...now thats a must have when your in Cedar!

Cool pics & videos of the snow

Jason & Claire said...

Okay, your description of your five minutes of torture is hilarious. That hill is steep! Glad you had such a great weekend...after that first part.

Chad and Laura said...

Chandra- that was so funny. I was thinking something bad was going to happen. Then I realized you are a wimp in the cold and snow like me. You write so well and Angie was certainly right, your blog is entertaining. Now if you could just come and be domestic here is Az. I need some curtains done in about 3 rooms and cant even get motivated to go find some. Hope your all doing good. Hope we will have the chance to hang out again.
Laura