Two weeks ago, as I was taking a leisurely walk, I came across this little desert tortoise by the edge of the park. Fearing that her life would end either by riding lawnmower, automobile tire or intrigued toddler, I decided to take her to the safety of our backyard. Lauren and Jace were pleasantly surprised to see her sitting our our grass when they arrived home from school and hoped that they would finally be pet owners. After some research we concluded this tortoise to be a girl so we named her Ruby VonShellington. Now you would think that a small 6 inch desert tortoise would be easy enough to corral, but this girl is faster than you expect and hides in crazy places. Today she got out and wandered across the street- lucky I spotted her as I walked down to get the mail. We are still deciding if we want to keep her and build her a little home or if we should give her to a guy at Jason's work who has a few tortoises already.




4 comments:
That is the coolest thing ever! I know that tortoises can make great, relatively mess free pets as long as you are able to keep her corraled.
She is adorable. I think you should keep her. It will give you all something to do. haha. The Judd's will always take her too.
Hey you know that we have three of those cute things...if you have any questions, Darren grew up with them. They are a pretty easy pet, but are escape artist.
Why is it that I have a Jason story for every one of your posts? I had a pet desert tortoise just like that--until Jason's dog Paws ate it. Stinkin' Paws...
Post a Comment